Sunday, April 23, 2023

The Progress of Napoleon I through Paintings

 Introduction

Napoleon I’s reign had a large impact on France, and many other people during the 19th century. One of these people groups were artists who were interested in Napoleon I’s life because of how intriguing and powerful a person he was. Artists found many ways to paint him throughout his life and career. He conquered much of Europe with his excellent military tactics and his driving force to succeed.  He was a highly influential person and many people either thought highly or lowly of him. Napoleon I did not rise to power easily, it took time and effort, and he made a lot of mistakes along the way. These mistakes set him back, but they did not stop him. Napoleon I even went to school when he was young and eventually graduated from a France military academy. Many artists painted a series on Napoleon I’s life. Since Napoleon I was so wealthy and popular, he also paid artists to paint him, and these paintings are located in some parts of France. I have found and will write about several paintings that depict part of Napoleon I’s life, and in this thematic curation I will show the progress that Napoleon I made throughout the paintings that several artists made of him and his career.




[1]    “The Directory of Napoleon I.” Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica, inc. Accessed April 23, 2023. https://www.britannica.com/biography/Napoleon-I/The-Directory. 


[2]   “Napoleon Bonaparte - Biography, Facts & Death.” History.com. A&E Television Networks. Accessed April 23, 2023. https://www.history.com/topics/european-history/napoleon.

Images


Napoleon Crossing the Alps, Paul Delaroche, 1850 

Oil on canvas, Walker Art Gallery, Accession number: WAG 2990

Napoleon crossing the Alps depicted him, and the army of Italy that he was commander in chief over. He was marching to attack the Austrians. Napoleon I took a long journey and traveled through the alps to do this. This painting shows how challenging it was for Napoleon I’s and his worn out men to travel through the alps. In the end, this journey was not in vain because Napoleon I and his army ended up defeating the Austrians in June.  


Napoleon Bonaparte in the uniform of the First Consul, Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres, 1804

 Oil on canvas, Located in Museum Curtius

Napoleon Bonaparte In Uniform of the First Consul was painted for Napoleon I. Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres painted this portrait for Napoleon I when he became First Consul. He was assigned this role to improve France and make it stronger. He was also assigned this role to end the chaos and the upshot of the Revolution. Napoleon I eventually used this role to make himself a dictator. He sent out the constitution of the year VIII. It was in disguise, and most people ended up falling for it. They voted majority for it, making him First Consul forever. 


The Consecration of the Emperor Napoleon and the Coronation of the Empress Josephine by Pope Pius VII, 2nd December 1804 , Jacques-Louis David, 1807

Oil on Canvas, Louvre, Paris, France

 Napoleon I was dictator for two years, and after those two years, he became emperor of France. He did this so that if he was assassinated, the heir of the throne would pass down to his children. This painting represents Napoleon I becoming the Emperor and his wife, Josephine becoming the empress. Pope Pius VII even came to France to be the one to coronate Napoleon I and Josephine because he wanted his coronation to be the best coronation that France would remember. This represents how Napoleon I truly aimed to be the best.


1807, Friedland, Ernest Meissonier, 1861-75

 Oil on canvas, Metropolitan museum of art, Accession Number: 87.20.1

1807, Friedland depicted a war that the French fought against the Russians. The Battle of Friedland was fought in Prussia. This painting takes place before the war starts. There is probably an odd silence as both sides are getting ready to attack. The Russians and the French also probably have no idea who is going to win as they wait for the battle to begin. 1807, Friedland shows how ambitious Napoleon I was. It also shows how loyal his men were to him. These men looked towards Napoleon I even though they knew that they could die.


 Napoleon at the Battle of Friedland, Horace Vernet, 1836

Oil on canvas, Château de Versailles, Versailles, France

This painting represents the end of the battle of Friedland. It shows how exhausting battle is, and the damages that battles can cause. No one can erase the pain and consequences from a war and Napoleon at the Battle of Friedland shows that. Even though the French experienced pain, they also experienced victory. Napoleon I’s strategies and his men’s determination aided in their success in the battle of Friedland, and when this battle came to an end, Napoleon I and his men won.


War. The Exile and the Rock Limpet, Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1842

oil paint on canvas, Tate Modern

War. The Exile and the Rock Limpet shows Napoleon I in exile. He is in utter defeat, and he is also thinking about how he lost his power. The painting is dull because it represents the agony of how he is feeling. It is red because it probably depicts how so much blood was shed. The blood of his enemies and the blood of his followers haunt him as he is driven into defeat.





No comments:

Post a Comment